When a company’s product becomes obsolete, they improve it. They keep the parts and qualities their customers love, and replace what wasn’t working so well. If that strategy applies for a business, why can’t it hold true for your career?
Many of us have gone from job to job having no sense of career direction and after a while, come to the realization that we aren’t happy anymore. The question is, how do we fix it? We have to rediscover, or possibly even realize for the first time what our passion really is. By doing this we upgrade, much like that new and improved product, and move toward the career we truly desire.
We know reinventing yourself isn’t easy. Here are some tips to change your mindset and get you started:
1. Have a plan. So you want to redesign who you are? That’s great, but you need to know where you want to end up. Many want to better themselves but it just doesn’t happen with the snap of a finger. Know what you want and where you want to be and figure out how you’re going to get there.
2. Keep it real. There’s nothing wrong with having goals, just make sure they are obtainable. You can shoot for the stars, but with what you’re working with right now might not be enough.
3. No self-doubt. If you are going to get your career in order, don’t hesitate. Never second guess. You need to open your mind to new opportunities and embrace change.
4. In with the new. Never, we repeat, never stop learning new things, even if what you’re learning might seem silly or useless. You never know when it might come in handy.
5. But not out with the old. Skills you already have can prove to be useful even if your career ends up being totally different than what it was before. You worked to obtain them, so why not keep them?
Employers recognize and generally embrace when a candidate has reinvented their career. Taking the initiative is the first step to being noticed.